Thursday, July 28, 2011

AAAH! Zombies - I'm Starting to Like Indie Zombies

AAAH! Zombies

Zombies need love too...

Year: 2007
Director: Matthew Kohnen
Overall Rating: 3.5 stars
Rewatchability: Medium-High
Netflix: movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Aaah_Zombies/70124963
Have you ever wanted to see things from the zombies point of view?  Well now's your chance!  This little piece of low-budget indie cinema turned out to be quite a surprise.

When a military experiment to create new "super soldiers" goes horribly wrong, they attempt to dump it in the bay. Of course there is an accident along the way and a barrel of the stuff ends up infecting four friends.

Okay, I'll admit it.  I like a good zombie comedy.  Unfortunately, while there may be a LOT of zom-com out there, most of it sucks.  Then you take into account the tiny budget and indie status and the number of good ones gets even lower.

Somehow, AAAH Zombies! takes all of these and rolls them into a pretty humorous ride.

For anyone that has ever seen a zombie flick, the opening is nothing new, but once the main characters become infected it's relatively new and refreshing. (Did I just say refreshing about zombies?)

With lines like "I don't feel like a zombie. Yeah, well idiots don't feel stupid but they are."and "We can't outrun them!  Zombies can't run!" (okay, that one was better in the movie) the writing made me chuckle throughout

The cinematography is pretty good as well.  When we're seeing things through the zombie point of view, everything appears almost normal, but when we're viewing as "normals," we flip to classic zombie black and white with shamblers and moaning.
Overall, you could find much worse ways to spend 90 minutes :)

6 comments:

  1. Never heard of it. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a Netflix account, you can find it at http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Aaah_Zombies/70124963

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added to my Netflix, moved to position #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Have you people actually looked at my reviews? :) Who in their right mind would listen to my advice?????

    Be sure to let me know what you think after viewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched this over the weekend and it was great!

    ReplyDelete