Friday, July 29, 2011

Season of the Witch - For Me It's Been Season of the Suck

Season of the Witch

Which old Witch?  The Wicked Witch!

Year: 2011
Director: Dominic Sena
Overall Rating: 1 star
Rewatchability: ugh
Netflix Link: movies.netflix.com/Movie/Season-of-the-Witch/70126573

After truly enjoying his last two films, I really thought that Nick might be on a roll.  I was wrong.  With this one we're back to the same plodding movies I expected.
After bailing on the crusades, he and a friend are hired by the church to transport a suspected witch to the only monastery that can handle the problem.

I really wanted to like this one.  Unfortunately, it's another one of those movies that shows a lot of potential but, like a car with a bad starter, it never quite gets going.  Personally, I like a little action in my action adventure.

The movie starts off well with killing (and attempted killing) of suspected witches.  Then we jump to the crusades with thousands of Christians sacking cities and killing everyone in sight.

Soon, the noble Mr. Cage decides he can't handle the mindless slaughter any more and defies the King and leaves.  On their way through the European countryside, he finds that a deadly plague is killing everyone leaving their black, bloated corpses behind.   Okay, I've got to stop there.  I usually don't get too into history, but weren't the crusades around 1100 C.E. and the black plague around 1500 C.E.?

 If that were the only problem with this flick then I'd probably just let it go.  Add to that the cheep effects, dead acting, and slow plot (it's listed as ACTION/adventure!) and you're just trying to piss me off.
It's not until the very end that you get to see that these actors have any talent at all, and even then it's a bit goofy. (Ron Perlman headbutting a demon is really unnecessary)

Excuse me now while I go watch "Your Highness."  At least it's supposed to be silly.

2 comments:

  1. Nick Cage, despite being capable of so much more, always sets the bar low. When has he ever done a movie with some gravity? I love Nick, I just hate his movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kick Ass and The Sorcerer's Apprentice... But I have to admit that Mr. Cage wasn't the reason for the enjoyment...

    ReplyDelete